Associate Professor, Ph.D Cass Business School, City University, London, UK
Seraina C. Anagnostopoulou is an Associate Professor of Financial Accounting at the University of Piraeus, Department of Banking and Financial Management. She undertook doctoral studies on a scholarship at the Cass Business School, City University, London, UK, from which she obtained a Ph.D. in Accounting in 2007. She is also a CFA Charterholder. She graduated from AUEB with a B.A. in Economics in 2001, and also holds an M.Sc. in International Securities, Investment and Banking from the ICMA (former ISMA) Centre, University of Reading, UK (2002). Before joining the University of Piraeus in 2019, she held academic positions at the ESCP Business School-London Campus, the Henley Business School – University of Reading, and the Athens University of Economics and Business during years 2007-2019, while she was an academic visitor at the Queen Mary University of London during 2015-2016, and Universidad Carlos III de Madrid in the summer of 2018. She has extensive teaching experience in financial and management accounting at undergraduate and postgraduate levels since 2005, and she is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA) of the UK.
Her research focuses on accounting quality and earnings management, accounting conservatism, market-based accounting research and financial statements analysis, the economic consequences of IFRS adoption, CSR and R&D-related valuation issues, and is very frequently presented at academic conferences. Her publications have appeared in the Journal of Corporate Finance, Accounting and Business Research, the International Journal of Accounting, the Journal of Financial Services Research, the British Accounting Review, the Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money, the International Review of Financial Analysis, and the Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting, among other journals. She regularly serves as an ad hoc reviewer for several academic journals, and she is a co-editor for the International Journal of Accounting, and also a member of the Editorial Board of the British Accounting Review and the Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal. She is a member of the European Accounting Association and the CFA Institute.
- Anagnostopoulou, S.C., Gounopoulos, D., Malikov, K., and Pham, H. (2021) ‘Earnings Management by Classification Shifting and IPO Survival, Journal of Corporate Finance, 66, Article 101796.
- Anagnostopoulou, S.C., Tsekrekos, A.E. and Voulgaris, G. (2021) ‘Accounting Conservatism and Corporate Social Responsibility’, The British Accounting Review, 53(4), Article 100942.
- Anagnostopoulou, S.C., and Stavropoulou, C. (2021) ‘Earnings Management in Public Healthcare Organizations: The Case of the English NHS Hospitals’, Public Money and Management, in press.
- Anagnostopoulou, S.C., Buhalis, D., Kountouri, I., Manousakis, E., and Tsekrekos, A.E. (2020) ‘The Impact of Online Reputation on Hotel Profitability’, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 32(1), pp. 20-39,
- Anagnostopoulou, S.C., Ferentinou, A.C., Tsaousis, P., and Tsekrekos, A.E. (2018) ‘The Options Market Reaction to Bank Loan Announcements’, Journal of Financial Services Research, 53 (1), pp. 99-139.
- Anagnostopoulou, S.C. (2017) ‘Accounting Quality and Loan Pricing: The Effect of Cross-Country Differences in Legal Enforcement’, The International Journal of Accounting, 52 (2), pp. 178-200.
- Anagnostopoulou, S.C., and Tsekrekos, A.E. (2017) ‘The Effect of Financial Leverage on Real and Accrual-based Earnings Management’, Accounting and Business Research, 47 (2), pp. 191-236.
- Anagnostopoulou, S.C., and Tsekrekos, A.E. (2015) ‘Earnings Management in Firms Seeking to Be Acquired’, The British Accounting Review, 47 (4), pp. 351-375.